Honestly I feel there is no need for me to put a post on the tools you need for your sourdough or bread journey. There are zillions of articles and videos already out there on internet.
I am going to list down the hardware I gathered in my kitchen over the years and which I found useful. And in general they are useful in their own right and could be used for other things. For example our Dutch-Oven has cooked more single pot pasta than anything else.
- A big oven - Good to have ; mine is Faber 60 Lt Electric almost 8 years old now. The best one to get would be a steam oven or at least a oven which can go higher temperature. Recent time there are many choices in Indian market like IKEA, Siemens, Bosch, Miele and etc.
- Dutch Oven (Casserole) - Good to have ; mine is Wonderchef Ferro Cast-Iron Oval Casserole 4.4L.
- Banneton (Proofing Basket) - Oval/Oblong from Bakewale; not a must
- Razor/Blade - Simple Shaving Blade, in French it is called Lame. Internet is full of fancy one; you do not need them. You start holding the naked blade and you can control it better.
- Shower Caps - Plastic Bags to cover the bread.
- Tea Towels - to keep dough damp.
- Preachment Paper - Oddy Ecobake ; not must I baked without but make life easier.
- Spray bottle - To spray water on dough in the end
- Glass Jar - with lid, for storing sourdough starter
- Measuring Cup - minimum size 500 ml
- Weighing scale - A MUST
- Silicone Mat - keeps your work surface clean, easy to manage dough.
- Scrapper - A MUST, they are extension of your hand without your finger being sticky
- Hand mixer - In recent time I started to use the hand mixer with dough hook for kneading and I must confess it makes things easy. So you can assume life will be lot easier with stand mixer if you bake a lot.
- Chop Stick - This is my tool of choice to mix flour and water, you can buy a fancy Danish Dough Whisk Stainless Steel as well :)
- Silicone spatula - makes scraping easy.
- Loaf Tin - Making loaf, banana bread many other use.
Some links to check in India
- Amazon -
- IKEA - At last delivery started in Bangalore in June'21
- Bakwale - Next to my home
- The Gourmet Shop
- Coco and More